Sunday 12 April 2009

Thotakura fry/Amarnath leaves fry


We all love to eat green vegetables at home.There in Hyderabad my mom used to cook every alternate day as there was a guy who used to sell leafy vegetables on his cycle.Every alternate day he used to give my mom.My daughter think this is spinach and she likes to eat it because Popeye eats spinach.This recipe is my mom's recipe.I hardly get this in the super markets here,what i get is the red ones which i don't like.But when ever i see thotakura i pick it up.

Ingredients:-

Thotakura fry 2 bunches
Onions 2
Green chillies 2
Red chillies 2
Rai 1tsp
Udad dal 2tsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Method:-

  1. Wash amarnath leaves twice so that all the sand gets washed away and chop it.
  2. Chop onions keep aside.
  3. Heat oil add red chillies,green chillies,rai and udat.When udat starts turning brown colour add the chopped leaves and onions.
  4. Add salt and turmeric powder.
  5. Cover and cook it all the water evaporates and the leaves are well cooked.No need of adding water as the leafy vegetables when cooked leaves water.But if you still think water is not sufficient,you can add little water.

Red chilly powder can be used in place of whole red chillies,i don't use chilly powder because i want the fry colour to be green.Please note that onions are not fried in this curry,they get cooked with the leaves.

24 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

healthy and new dish.. looks good.

Lavanya said...

very healthy curry..nice one varunavi!!

Priya Sriram said...

Ha ha... thats one of the things I like about Popoye!! :D :D
I like spinach fry too, but donno what kind is this!! :) Looks good!

Ramya said...

I used to hate this leafy vegatable hefore marriage when my my used to cook but now I desperately look for it. I get them very rare.

Vishali said...

delicious thotakura curry ...:). Hope u had a nice weeekend!

Uma said...

I love it too! Looks so mouth-watering.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Everytime I come across Amarnath leaves I used to wonder how good they will be... Simple dish shall try making them...

Pavithra said...

I love greens anyway !!! Great picture.

Pooja said...

Looking delicious varunavi..My fav among all greens..sad part is i cant get them here atleast in frozen section..I make spinach fry..

sharada said...

hi,
this is amaranth greens - am i right?
Greens are always healthy..the dish looks simply delicious.

Varunavi said...

@Ramya even i get this very rarely,but when even i see i pick it up

Varunavi said...

@Mahimaa thanx
@Lavanya thanx
@Priya this is widely available in two colours green and red,it is widely used in south india.

Varunavi said...

@Ramya vijaykumar thanx do try this,its taste is awesome

Varunavi said...

@Pavithra thanx

@pooja thanx,we get frozen as well,but i dont use them,i dont like to fed kids the frozen stuff

@sharadha thanx

vidhas said...

Lovley recipe. I think we use to call as Gongura or this is different. My father lovles gongura.

Varunavi said...

Vidhas this is thotakura,gongura is different,we do gongura papu and gongura pachadi

@Janani ur welcome

ARUNA said...

hey Varunavi, i like this curry a lot, my mom used to make it often. But u will laugh if i say that i always get confused when i pick the leaves....all leafy vegetables look similar to me..so i always pick a wrong veggie.

Varunavi said...

Aruna u r not alone,even i pick up wrong leafy veg,so i check with hubby before picking it up

Kitchen Flavours said...

Gorgeous green....I love this a lot. It is hard to find this leafy veggie here....Looks yum.

Ammu said...

Healthy & comfort dish. I remember my amma doing this often. Thanks for sharing.

Priya said...

Yummy dish:) Such a healthy dish!

Varunavi said...

@Lubna thanx

@Ammu thanx

@Priya thanx

Varunavi said...

@Rajee i am glad that i wished u first.Thanx for the wishes.

Deepa Hari said...

Yummy and healthy....i love it too.

Post a Comment